Thursday 16 September 2010

16 September 2010

Managed to get down to Westport for a quick hour this morning before work, it was just a quick walk around the main lake and a look on the old sewage near the main lake end, weather was cold with a heavy shower late on, although the temp was 13c it felt colder with the moderate northwest breeze.

Not very much to note really I didn't do any counts with it being so short, but 13 Mute Swans were noted at least 3 Pochard with the usual Tufted Ducks, Great Crested Grebes seemed about normal and the couple of Ruddy Duck still remain, Chiffchaff numbers have dropped slowly with only around 8+ seen/heard and a couple of Blackcaps on the old sewage works, also dropping off slowly are the House Martins and Swallows with around 15+ of each and I'm pretty sure a single Sand Martin which is a bit more unusual at this time of year.

Things warmed up a lot by mid afternoon when Dave Kelsell found a 1st winter Mediterranean Gull on the main lake not far from the front edge near the boat ramp, unfortunately I was at work when the news came in and it was a frantic few hours before I could finish and get down, luckily it was the first Gull I looked at when I arrived exactly were I was told it would be, it then flew towards the Black-headed Gull flock and settled down on one of the plastic pipes sticking out the water, I did try to get a couple of photo's but I was shaking due the the cold and wind plus the light was fading rapidly so sadly none came out 'gutted', hopefully it will still be around in the morning and I'll have another go.

Also seen earlier in the afternoon was a Raven flying over the lake but quite high up, this was seen by Bill Low who himself is a bit of a rarity at Westport these days, these two species (that's the Med Gull and Raven not Bill!!) put Westport on 123 species for the year and with 3 and a bit months still to go fingers crossed we can make 130+, with the Med Gull it puts myself on 102 for the year at Westport.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments will be added once approved by Admin