Saturday 21 January 2012

21 January 2012

When I arrived it was blowing a gale, with 'white horses' on the lake and waves crashing over the grass verge at the front, but at least it wasn't raining, well at first, when the rain arrived it was heavy and horizontal, I took shelter by the visitors centre and waited for it to calm down, I was joined by Nick and George and eventually we were able to head out around Westport.

As I arrived I could hear Redwings in the top wood by the boating lake, on the lake just 2 adult Mute Swans with the usual 4 on the main lake being joined by another adult making 7 in total, a couple of Mistle Thrushes and Pied Wagtails were along the grass edge, on the main lake, 35 Tufted Duck, 3 Goldeneye, 2 Great Crested Grebes and 8 Pochard, 2 male Goosanders also flew over.

Around the nature reserve area, a Siskin flew over, a single Coal Tit, 2 Willow Tit, Treecreeper and a Jay, we made our way onto the old gas works were I picked up a Gull flying over Bradwell Wood area, I got Nick onto it straight away, we noticed it was a white winged gull and size and jizz could only mean one thing a ICELAND GULL, the first at Westport since 2009 and my first ever at Westport, we followed it as it headed N/NW until out of view, possibly heading towards the Void and probably the same bird that has been there since before Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments will be added once approved by Admin