Monday 21 March 2011

21 March 2011

Nick Smith started off with a good morning, flushing a Woodcock from the ridge on the sewage works, another Westport year tick, also present 3 Goosanders.

Later Pete Lunt was down mid morning and recorded, a pair of Goosander, Shoveler, Goldeneye, Pochard, 10 Great Crested Grebes and a skein of Geese flying north, I was in Hanley at the time and had a small skein of Geese flying over but was unable to say what species.

Later in the late afternoon I nipped down to Westport for a quick walk around the main lake, hoping to see Sand Martin, I called into the top pool area of the nature reserve and could hear a Nuthatch calling away after a few minutes I managed to locate it in the top of the tall trees in between the top pool and railway, also here at least 2 Chiffchaffs were singing and a female Reed Bunting was in the reed bed, I could also hear a Green Woodpecker 'laughing' from the gas/sewage works area, back on the main lake nothing new too what has already been mentioned by Pete Lunt.

Nuthatch is another Westport year tick for me, putting me on 73 for the year, and Nick's Woodcock puts the total for everyone at 85 for the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments will be added once approved by Admin