Saturday 23 April 2011

23 April 2011

Another similar morning to yesterday weather wise, there was probably slightly more cloud cover but a lighter breeze, still southeasterly, temp was 16c rising to 21c by end of visit which was from 05.55 til 08.50.

As I entered the park again Blackcap and Chiffchaffs were singing, in all 8 Chiffchaffs were seen/heard and 9 Blackcap, although today I didn't go around the 'Avenue/Prices filed area so probably a few more of both species around, on the boating lake there are now 5 Greylag Geese as well as the usual Farmyard Greylag types, the male Mute Swan was on the two main lakes and later chased another Mute Swan off while the female remains in the nature reserve, on the grass verge 2 Little Ringed Plovers were present and 10 Tufted Ducks were on the main lake, just a single Starling on the ground today, I think I've seen more Waxwings at Westport than I have Starlings this year! Still no Great Crested Grebes on the boating lake but 4 are on the main lake, a couple of Mistle Thrushes were flying around probably busy feeding young somewhere, while along the grass bank I heard a unusual call overhead, looking up I noticed a Snow Goose, it flew around the main lake and the the boating lake before landing on here and then went onto the bank were it had a preen and wing stretch before being disturbed by a runner, it made its way along the edge of the lake were I managed a few photo's (to follow), I've no idea were it's come from, obviously not wild but a nice addition to the day anyway, I then made may way straight to the sewage works to try and find the Grasshopper Warbler from the last few days, sadly I couldn't hear anything to give me hope and made do with 7 Whitethroats on here and a couple of Willow Warblers, a few Lesser Black-backed Gulls flew over during the visit with probably around 10 birds going through, on the old gas works a Reed Bunting was calling from the side of Jeff's Pool, back on the main lake a couple of Black-headed Gulls went through, I had another look for the Snow Goose but it had moved on and along the canal a couple of Swallows were present.

Later in the morning Jeff Jones had the first Reed Warbler of the year on the top pool in the nature reserve. This also puts Westport on 100 species seen so far this year so I've got a bit of catching up to do with just 87!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments will be added once approved by Admin