Thursday, 12 May 2011

12 May 2011

I hate this week, it happens once a month and it when I have the longest straight shift at work without a break, you just know something is going to happen at Westport and there's nothing you can do about it cus your stuck at work.

First I need to catch up with last weekend although Saturday and Sunday were rather disappointing after perfect weather conditions we did manage a couple of decent birds, on Saturday we had our 2nd Yellow Wagtail of the year although this one just flew right over our heads calling as it went, a pair of Great Spotted Woodpeckers were feeding young, 3 Willow Tits were seen, a single Treecreeper, Reed Warbler, Garden Warbler, a couple of Linnets flew over as did a Lapwing and lastly the Grasshopper Warbler was still reeling away. On Sunday things were pretty similar, the Canada Goose Goslings were up to 31, a good count of 10 Great Crested Grebes on the main lake, good numbers of Lesser Black-backed Gulls were going through with over 45+ going through during the visit, 2 Common Sandpipers were around the boating lake just before I left as were 4 Moorhen chicks.

And so to the last 4 days Nick had a pretty uneventful start with the first two days but things really started to warm up yesterday and today, before that Jeff Jones had a Hobby on Tuesday over the gas works for 2mins, this is the first this year for Westport, on Wedsnesday Nick had a Barnacle Goose fly through with a small Canada Goose and so to this morning, you just know when you have a look at your mobile at break time at work and you have 4 text messages from Nick that something has been seen at Westport, this morning he managed to find 2 adult summer plumaged Black-necked Grebes, this is the 1st pair at Westport since 1998 when two were seen on the 10th and 11th of April, despite everyone telling me they will stay I spent the entire shift worrying if I would miss them, I managed to get down to Westport for about 15.30 and yes they were still there, alot of faces there I haven't seen before so obviously they had drawn quite a crowd, below are a couple of photo's Steve Seal had managed to get in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments will be added once approved by Admin