Wednesday 31 March 2010

31 March 2010

A horrid morning weather wise, from leaving the house at 07.15 to getting back at 09.15 it rained non stop with a dose of sleet combined with a strong north/north westerly breeze it was rather cold.
As I made my way along the canal one of the first birds I saw was a Jay, I made my way along to the model boating lake which had the usual 2x Great Crested Grebes and 5 Mute Swans, on to the main lake and a count of the ducks saw 28x Tufted Duck, 1x male Shoveler and the pair of Goldeneye, there was also another 2x Mute Swans and 4x Great Crested Grebes. As usual the Grey Heron was doing its tour of the lake. As I walked along the lake 1 Swallow flew through followed by another 3 a few minutes later.
I made my way into the wood/pools area, on reaching the first gate a pair of Teal flew from the brook. in total I counted 7 Chiffchaff singing and 3 Willow Warbler, I also had 3x Willow Tit and a pair of Bullfinch, on the old gas works a single Stock Dove was on the pylons. Last bird of the day was a single Redwing flying over as I reached the visitors centre, could poss be the last of winter, as I haven't seen a Redwing for over a week.
Total number of species seen 38.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments will be added once approved by Admin