Sunday 24 October 2010

23 October 2010

After finishing work at 3pm and waiting what felt like 2 years to catch a couple of buses home I eventually managed to get down to Westport for the last hour or so of light, I just walked around the main lake and the boating lake.

It was absolutely freezing with a strong northwest breeze and I was regretting leaving my gloves and hat at home, as I stood counting the Ducks I had tears running down my cheek, it was that cold, what did surprise me was when nearly home I checked the temp on the Steelite clock and it said 9c so must of been a strong wind chill factor because it felt a lot colder than that.

Anyway in the morning Nick Smith recorded 12 Pochard, a single female Goldeneye and a Blackcap on the sewage works.

This afternoon I saw, 11 Pochard the missing one from this morning was the tame female that's been around for a while, Nick had this on the boating lake, but this afternoon it could possibly of been in the nature reserve on one of the small pools, there was a good count of 13 Great Crested Grebes which includes one on the model boating lake, this is the highest count for a while, also on the main lake 71 Tufted Ducks, 2 adult Lesser Black-backed Gulls in the Black-headed Gull pre-roost, a single Grey Heron was on the boating lake with 2 Mute Swans and another 4 Mute Swans were on the main lake, finally a single Little Grebe was on the main lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments will be added once approved by Admin