Saturday 24 April 2010

24 April 2010

Recorded by Nick Smith this morning, Little Egret flying over heading north at 07.20, also 2x Shelduck landed briefly on the main lake, Garden Warbler by the old sewage works and 2x Whitethroat, gutted I missed some of these this morning, Little Egret was a Westport tick for me and the Shelduck and Garden Warbler where year ticks for me, and all because I overslept!

Quick visit down this afternoon from 17.10 - 18.20, temperature was a pleasant 20c, slight wind which seemed to be coming from the south/southwesterly, slight cloud cover with sunny intervals.
At the top entrance the first of 4x Blackcap and 2x Willow Warbler, on the model boating lake, 11x Mute Swans and of course the 2x Great Crested Grebes, by the old railway sidings the first of 3x Chiffchaff, the main lake had another 2x Great Crested Grebes, Grebe numbers have really dropped off this week as have Tufted Duck with x16 present, also 2x adult Lesser Black-backed Gulls and 'Sammy' the male Shoveler with his female Mallard 'girlfriend'.
In the Nature Reserve more Willow Warbler, Blackcap and Chiffchaff, also a single Willow Tit, I also thought I briefly heard a Garden Warbler by the Boardwalk Bridge, but I couldn't pin it down. The other day I received a photo of some Terrapins on the bottom pool sunning on a log, today I had one in the same place, couldn't believe how big it was, did very well to survive the recent harsh winter.
The old gas works had 2x Stock Doves, 1x Grey Heron on the small pool and a couple of Swallows on the wires, on the grassland at the side Chiffchaff and Whitethroat where singing.

Total species 32.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments will be added once approved by Admin